Tuesday, April 12, 2011

bookworm


I love to read. I have little self control when it comes to reading (ie: i have pulled all nighters in order to finish a book that i refuse to put down *coughHARRYPOTTER-AND -TWILIGHT-SERIEScough*
but i get lazy after a while. i am not good about starting a new series, testing out an author i haven't read yet or searching for books. I stick with the ones i like. I re-read everything in my library. if i am struggling getting into a book, i might abandon it (that is why it took me over 6 months to get into Nicholas Nickleby, which is now one of my all time favorite books)

anyway, i felt inspired to speak about books for a few reasons
1) I just finished "Fahrenheit 451". It took me a while to get through it. I could really only read about 5-6 pages at a time for some reason. But the entire book is about a world without books. Where fireman don't put out fires, but instead set books on fire, because they are illegal. the book was written over 50 years ago, but predicts the future so spot on. TVs the size of walls. "seashells" that we place in our ears that play music or noise to drown out the sound of things around us. People who are unable to sleep without medication, classic literature being lost. its crazy.
In the last chapter, one character is talking to the main character, Montag, and says this: "Stuff your eyes with wonder. See the world. Its more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories..."
2) Penguin and released cloth bound hardcovers of many of their classics. Shaynah already bought me Pride and Prejudice, but i would love to someday own them all, especially the children's classics

3) there is a free audiobook iphone app. I have been going through the Anne of Green Gables series and am now halfway through my favorite... Anne of the Island. I'm at the part when she is being courted by Royal Gardner, and is starting to become jealous of dear dear dear Gilbert's relationship. I was just as crushed when she refused Gilbert as i was when i first read it. But this time i was driving down 77 with tears in my eyes instead of curled up in my bed. I have re-falled in love with little Davy and the way he asks questions. He always ends them with "I want to know".

"The new minister was here to tea last night. He took three pieces of pie.
If I did that Mrs. Lynde would call me piggy. And he eat fast and took big bites and Marilla is always telling me not to do that. Why can ministers do what boys can't? I want to know."

i have put these pictures on my pinterst. they remind me of that scene in Beauty and the Beast, when he gives her that massive library. Could you imagine?


so to end with a question: what are you reading now? What is your all time favorite? What is a book that took you a while to get into, but then you LOVED?

No comments: