Wednesday, September 28, 2011

to-do-list

last year i made a 30 before 30 list. I did about half of the things on it. The rest, i partially did. 30 things is a lot.
i am NOT going to make a 31 before 31 list, because i find it depressing. for many reasons.
INSTEAD, i am going to just make a list. no number involved. A list of goals and things i would like to accomplish or start. There doesn't have to be an end date. Some things are habits and can't really be completed. But things in general. Just to give me some good and new goals.

*total side-note. Like, super side note. I love the show How I Met Your Mother. I had no interest in watching it, but now i adore it. One of the characters, Marshall, needed to make a graph for a presentation at work. He then becomes addicted to graphs and charts. (in case you don't get it, the "Cecilia " chart is a reference to a Simon and Garfunkel song, called "Cecilia" and has the line "Cecilia, you're breaking my heart. You're shaking my confidence daily")


anyway, that is how i get with lists. Once i make 1 list, i start going crazy. i make lists of things i have already done, just for the satisfaction of crossing things off the list.

so here are somethings i want to do this year

1) explore my city. Charlotte is awesome. There are so many great things to do here. I tend to just stick in one area, or just areas i am familiar with. But, i began to explore a bit more last year. I found a vintage shop that I love (Hong Kong Vintage) , a new favorite record store (Lunchbox), different places to eat and what not. And I found some free stuff to do too. On Tuesday's I can go to the MINT museum for free. I might become that woman who is there every week, staring at stuff for waaaay too long. How cultured and elegant and crazy. There are coffee shops i want to try. My friend Blake introduced me to a place I had no idea existed, though i drive by it EVERY SINGLE DAY! It's called Rush Espresso. I love it now. Now if i could just find a good cupcake place (other than Polka Dot)

2) make an effort. I mentioned that last week. And already it has gotten better. I am attempting to wear clothes and put together outfits that are new-to-me. Basically, not making a uniform. It's been kind of fun. I have also been wearing makeup this week. And my glasses, but that is just because my eyes were bugging me earlier in the week. Also, i just got a b-day gift of a NICE target gift card. Instead of spending it on groceries (fact: I do that. Often) and toiletries, i am going to buy some clothes.

3) get involved.  last year i watched the film "waiting for Superman". I cannot tell you how amazing it was. It opened my eyes to the public school system, where it is broken, and how we can help. After the film, they give you a number you can text to get involved. Since then, about once a month i get a text with tips, info and what not. I just got one about volunteering as a tutor/reader/mentor with the United Way. So i am doing it. I don't know what it is going to look like, i don't know how much help I will be, but I'm excited. I've signed up, and I am waiting for my info packet. (if you are interested and want some info, click here)I was very lucky to be the daughter and granddaughter of readers. My grandpa Glenn read to me ALL the time. Mom read every kind of book. Not just the cheesey ones kids are drawn to, but classics. Some kids don't get that at all. And that is one of the issues with the current school system One statistic they showed, was that most people think that bad neighborhoods make bad schools. It's the opposite. Bad schools feed into bad neighborhoods. If kids get a bad education, don't graduate, or drop out, they are then stuck in that neighborhood. They aren't able to get good jobs. They find ways to occupy their time. They explain it much  better in the film (and the trailer)
here it is. (You get so involved and attached to the specific kids they follow. I cried about the little boy who says he wants to make his grandma proud. his story was my favorite)



anyway, i might add more later. But i think that is a good start. These are bigger goals. But I am really excited. And if you see a creepy girl at the museum every week... just ignore me. maybe i will be able to give secret tours eventually. and charge for them.

No comments: