Friday, June 29, 2012

is she a pilot?

i have no place doing a tribute post to Nora Ephron here. I am not a screen writer. Or a writer at all. I can only name 4 of her movies.  If i had passed her on a crowded street, i'd have no idea.
but man i love her movies.
and i think some of the lines she wrote were some of the best in the history of film.
here are a few of my favorite

from You've Got Mail:
Tom Hanks- "I could never be with someone who likes Joni Mitchell. 'It's clouds illusions I recall/I really don't know clouds at all.' What does that mean? Is she a pilot? Is she taking flying lessons? It must be a metaphor for something but I don't know what it is"

also from You've Got Mail:
(ashley and i quoted this yesterday)

Tom: "Don't cry, Shopgirl. Don't cry."

Meg: "I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly."

Also delivered by Tom Hanks, but from Sleepless in Seattle, when he is telling the radio show host about his (now dead) wife.:
"Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they just meant we were supposed to be together. And I knew it. And I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like ... magic."


and my ALL TIME FAVORITE. Man, i love this movie.
This is Billy Crystal's big speech at the end of When Harry Met Sally


"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."


i really hate you harry. i hate you.

hah.
no one can write them like Nora. She will be missed.



2 comments:

his little lady said...

aw, one of my favorite movies of all time. still so sad about this!!!
xo TJ

kendra said...

I know. it's heartbrekaing TJ!