Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sam vs Josh

I recently began re-watching The West Wing.
I highly recommend doing that. I think all of us need re-fall in love with all of the characters. But mainly...Josh and Sam.
Now, I tend to go back and forth on who I love the most.
Most of the time, it's Josh Lyman...because...it's Josh. He is awesome.
But sometimes Sam Seaborn slips in and wins a chunk of my heart again.


So, I decided to make a pro/con Sam/Josh list. That doesn't really make sense, but since it's already been playing around in my head, let me have this.

ready?
First off... these

Josh-

Pro- He is in love with his assistant Donna
Con- It takes him 7 years to act on it

Pro- He is adorable and hilarious

Con- still the Donna thing. It took me a long time to get over that
Pro- this moment, when he is hung over, and Donna brings him strong coffee. As he takes a sip she says "it's from yesterday. it might not be hot anymore"
Pro- He is best friends with Sam. He even goes to get him to bring him on to the Barlet campaign
Pro- He get a crush on a smart, deaf woman. Even wears a special suit on the day he knows he is going to see her, and isn't embarrassed to flirt in front of her translator
Pro- He gave Donna a chance when she snuck in to work on the campaign
Con- when he goes crazy...he goes CRAZY
Con- his hair
Con- again with Donna. 7. Years.
Pro- this scene (there isn't video for it. So here is the actually back-and-forth)

JOSH Hey... You should have seen Toby. 
SAM He was good? 
JOSH He blew the doors off the place. Then I almost got killed. 
DONNA and SAM How? 
JOSH I got hit with a piece of a banana. 
TOBY Let’s go. 
JOSH You know what you are? You are old school, my friend. 
TOBY Stop talking like that. Let’s go. 
JOSH Let me tell you something, though. That was the second time this year I almost got killed and both times I was with you so you’re going to need a new wingman. 
TOBY You were my old wingman? 
JOSH Yeah. 
TOBY Let’s go. 


Sam-
Pro- ROB. LOWE.
Con- his hair got progressively worse as the series went on
Pro- newbie Ainsley Hayes was not very popular in the White House. She was republican and she had DESTROYED Sam in a TV debate (though some of them loved her for it.) Sam was not happy when he found out that she was going to be offered a job. Ainsley's first assignment did not go well. And Sam yelled at her the same day. She walked away, clearly upset to her sad sad sad office... Then...this happened.



What you don't see is that when Ainsley meets her new boss, they get in an argument about Gilbert and Sulilvan. That is what Sam was arguing with him about. Ainsley was right.
So, after her terrible day, after Sam handsomly fired the 2 jerks, Ainlsey returns to her sad little office to find this...



Honestly, if that doesn't make your face look like the heart-eyed emojis... i don't know what will (best part... Toby sitting. He'll show up. But he doesn't have to like it)
Con- he slept with a prostitute (on ACCIDENT)
Pro- he befriend's her, keeps it a long standing friendship and then tries to "save" her
Pro- he is forever grateful to Josh for bringing him onto the campaign 
Pro- he stands up for his boss.
Con- Rob Lowe left the show due to salary. And I'll never forgive him
Pro- he gets a huge crush on his bosses daughter. And he is always adorably bumbling around her
(these ends up mainly being about CJ and Danny. Sidenote- CJ is my spirit animal)
Con- he ruins it by not calling her when news of the prostitute friend goes public
Pro- he becomes adorably jealous when he finds out she is dating a hockey player.
Con- he pouts when he doesn't get his way

So... as I caculate the votes...watch this. my ALL TIME favorite moment in the show




the votes are tallied...and the winner is

LEO. Leo always wins. Everything. Forever.


1 comment:

Leaning said...

I got Jonathan to watch West Wing with me. I agree with almost all your notes, but starting with season 6, Josh's self-righteous attitude really starts grating on my nerves. And then he goes all "I have the diplomatic rank of a three-star general, YOU WILL TELL ME WHERE DONNA MOSS IS" on that poor nurse in Germany and I kinda forgive him.
And yes, Leo wins. With Charlie, Donna, CJ and Margaret all tying for 2nd.
(Fave Margaret quote: when Prez B. got shot and is under the knife and no one signed the letter, she comes in to Leo and says "I can sign the President's name. I have his signature down pretty good."
Leo : You can sign the President's name?
Margaret: Yeah.
Leo: On a document removing him from power and handing it to someone else?
Margaret: Yeah! Or... do you think the White House Counsel would say that was a bad idea?
Leo: I think the White House Counsel would say it was a coup d'etat!
Margaret: Well. I'd probably end up doing some time for that.
Leo: I would think... And what the hell were you doing practicing the President's signature?
Margaret: It was just for fun.
Leo: We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret vetoeing things and sending them back to the Hill.
AWESOME)